Thursday, December 16, 2010

Preserving my sanity

Nathan is allowed one hour of television of day. Some days it's less. Some days it's more. Some days it's exactly one hour. Now, I KNOW that there is a lot of controversy about television and children, but some days it's the only thing that gets me through the late-afternoon/early evening cranky transformation that Nathan undergoes daily. Nathan and I watch the following:
The Wonder Pets
Miss Spider's Sunny Patch
The Fresh Beat Band

Ah the Fresh Beat Band. This is them here:



The names? There is Marina, Kiki, Twist, and Shout. As you can tell, they are VERY upbeat and happy. They sing, they have adventures, and the only thing that gets me through one of their shows (with the exception of the Freeze Dance song which I love for some reason), is imagining just which character is having a torrid affair with the other. I don't know WHY this amuses me, but it does. I mix them up, I swap them up, and I ponder the possibilities. I mean, they're all reasonably attractive people and they are thrown together ALL THE TIME, not to mention bonding over the silly things they do in the pursuit of acting and a paycheck. So, are they DATING?? Maybe this means I am a seriously disturbed person, but I recently found out a mommy friend of mind does this as well so I can't be THAT crazy. And hey, if you had to listen to "Go Bananas" more than once a day, I think you'd be entitled to a little fantasy as well!

4 comments:

Mr Darcy said...

"Consider the possibilities"??? How many ways can you match 2 guys with 2 gals? This isn't an Algebra II question: it's two different ways. That's all. Just 2.
OK, let's be modern, and consider all the ways of breaking them into pairs. It's still only three. If you're relying on considering the possibilities to get you through the show, that part'll take, what 2 minutes tops.

Yes, and I'm Mr. Math You Can Use - if only to stave off ennui!

Katharine said...

See and I'm instead pondering the RELATIONSHIP! Like, Marina just touched Shout on the shoulder... was that on purpsose or done solely for the show? And, why are Twist and Kiki "stuck together" in one show? Did they ask for that or was that the work of brilliant script writing? Math = boring. I have more fun with my version of who and who!

Crankipantz said...

I typically just trust Mr Darcy when it comes to math, but I've done a little math of my own this time. My math might even crack the limb of inappropriate on a family blog by being modern PLUS. There are way more than 3 combinations here. :-P

Marina + Twist
Kiki + Twist
Marina + Shout
Kiki + Shout
Marina + Kiki
Twist + Shout (which already are together in a song if I can steal from the Beatles)

Then there's the multiple combinations:
Kiki + Marina + Twist
Kiki + Marina + Shout
Marina + Twist + Shout
Kiki + Twist + Shout

and finally, the grand finale:
Kiki+ Twist + Marina + Shout

Now unless I missed something...that's 11 unique pairings of Fresh Beat...and now I don't think I can watch this show anymore!! Or maybe it'll make it that much more interesting.

Mr Darcy said...

The emphasis was on "PAIRINGS", like two by two. And EVERYBODY pairs off:
Pairing 1
Marina + Twist and Kiki + Shout
Pairing 2
Marina + Kiki and Twist + Shout
Pairing 3
Marina + Shout and Kiki + Twist

If instead you want to find how many different ways to select a group from the 4, there are 2^4 = 16 ways, including cases that you will probably think are cheating.
1: nobody
2: Marina
3: Twist
4: Kiki
5: Shout
6: Marina + Twist
7: Marina + Kiki
8: Marina + Shout
9: Twist + Kiki
10: Twist + Shout
11: Kiki + Shout
12: Marina + Twist + Kiki
13: Marina + Twist + Shout
14: Marina + Kiki + Shout
15: Twist + Kiki + Shout
16: all 4

So yes, if you leave out the first 5 cases as not what you had in mind (you need more than 1 to have a group), you get 11 groupings, just as you say.

BTW, I'm sure I remember a pre-Beatles song: "Shake it up, baby/Twist and shout." No idea who did it, but it wasn't Guns n Roses.